Thursday 11 November 2010

Developing Subtraction Cutting Further

As I mentioned previously, I have developed the subtraction cutting technique that I mastered during the workshop, further. I decided to construct a full scale version of the dress in slighlty heavier fabrics such as cotton and polyester satin as opposed to the chiffon that I used last time. The aim of this was to see what different silhouettes I could achieve with this unpredictable method of pattern cutting an also how fabric choice can affect it.






I took pictures of how the dress looked at each stage and played around with the hemline in order to achieve a younger, more wearable silhouette The aspect which I like most about Subtraction Cutting is that the shape can evolve as much as you want it to, it reminds me of the mechanism that Hussein Chalayan used in his Spring/Summer 08 collection as that too, changed the silhouette .



My final outcome still pocessed the fuller lower body skirt of a subtraction cut dress but I shorten the hemline for a younger look and I sewed some of the drapery into place to create almost pockets of draped layers. It would be interesting to explore the possibly of pulling the hem up, in a subtraction cut dress through a mechanism to show viewers the silhouette that can evolve from one dress


No comments:

Post a Comment